May 22, 2010

Letting Go



“For as long as you can remember, you have been a pleaser, depending on others to give you an identity. You need not look at that only in a negative way. You wanted to give your heart to others, and you did so quickly and easily. But now you are being asked to let go of all these self-made props and trust that God is enough for you. You must stop being a pleaser and reclaim your identity as a free self.” - Henri Nouwen

Discovering more about the deeper meaning of life pushes you to purge the worldliness and lies that have made their home in your heart. For a long time reading quotes like Nouwen's made me feel silly or corny. I recognize that my own uncomfortableness with truth is because I have been living with lies that whisper in my ear that caring, loving, praying, hoping is foolish. It's a temptation to listen with foolish ears to darkness. God has been molding me into someone stronger, with Him. I'm weak on my own.

People don't write books and books over the issues of our heart if there wasn't truth and meaning behind it. I'm not posting this for the heck of it.

There is truth. I'm discovering it. It's what my striving heart has been searching for, my itching ears have been wanting to hear and my feeble mind longs to wrap around.

Every person shares the same longing. You have no idea how badly I hope for you to find it.

No comments: