March 8, 2010

"Susan, I like your attitude, you tell the world 'I'm fabulous and I don't give a shit'"-Russell Hixson

I walk through the front door of my house and immediately I am greeted with the scent of the tide laundry detergent my mom uses, a cranberry-apple pie scented candle my sister is obsessed with and a new sent of a puppy. I see my grandmothers piano in the living room with the white couch I was never allowed to sit on. Sun rays pour through the bay windows in my kitchen and family room. A glance out and I see the woods filled with many fond childhood adventurous memories. There she stands with her arms stretched out, her black curly short hair pulled back, khaki pants, and nurses jacket smiling ear to ear ready to embrace her third daughter. My house, neighborhood and mother, all things familiar. All things that play a vital part in who I am today.

I'm a person who loves change, thrives in a fast past environment that is constantly changing. But I've noticed that I could never be somewhere new all the time, with no connections to my past or to things and people who help define who I am today.

Henry David Thoreau (woah, getting philosophical) said "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." The bare necessities. I wonder if I could do that, live in the woods by myself, with just nature. Simplicity is what Thoreau is getting at. I'm not claiming that materialism is the end all be all, but there are things, places and people that teach me about life every day. And those things, places and people have played a vital part in who I am today. To strip those away, there would be a sense of loss of purpose and identity.

Is this sounding fimiliar? College. New place, new people, new things. No support system.

PSH I have lived in the WOODS MOFO's!!!

bam.

No comments: