May 9, 2012

Day 1 - Namaste

This is Sym. My mom prayed for a friend for me to travel with and well I should have known that it was coming because God really listens to my mom. Anyway, it really was a blessing. As the plane was landing I started to tear up because I had no idea where to go and I was afraid of being in the airport over night for 12 hours by myself. Literally she showed up out of nowhere and came over to me. She asked If I was going to Nepal, she had been studying at a school in Atlanta and was returning home for the first time in 3 years. She and I stuck with each other the whole night and watched each others stuff while the other went to the bathroom or to get something to eat. She taught me about her culture and she spoke Nepali and Hindi(Indian language) which was helpful in the airport. An airport housekeeper in Delhi came up to us and looked at me and said, "what a good friend you have!" We explained that we had just met and didn't really know each other, she replied by saying that it didn't matter because we were friends now. Praise God! He is good.

 The view from the airplane Wednesday morning from New Delhi, India to Kathmandu, Nepal.

 My first experience in a taxi from the airport to Martin's home (director of communications INF). It was a zoo! And I probably would have been more afraid but Martin strategically kept asking me questions so I wouldn't notice our near death experiences...

 We went on a walk around the city and Martin showed me different places to shop, get coffee and pastries and other fun things.

 Meet Martin he's from England. He and his wife, Catherine have been in Nepal for 10 years. He's very nice and apologized profusely for not having better weather for me. He's great!

 I saw lots of interesting people and places on our tour around Kathmandu. Its a pretty dirty city, but its so rich in culture that I didn't notice much.

 We visited the INF office on our little tour...Its about a ten minute walk from where I will be staying and is a 3 story building with lots of balcony's like this one over looking the bustling streets and alley ways.

This is a photo I took from Martin and Catherine guest bedroom. They live in a very lovely flat in the city. They have a rather large patio roof where they sit out and drink tea and read. I will be staying with them until Friday and then will be moving across the street into Bethany guest house. Its owned by two Christian Nepali sisters. 

2 comments:

running4him said...

Sounds cool!! I have always wanted to go to Nepal, so many souls. Keep up the good work!! God Bless!!

Ben McFeeters said...

Have crazy fun!