July 16, 2010

Free from things



About three years ago a friend and I were spending a normal evening in Starbucks. (I lived there my senior year of high school) As we stood in line there was a girl in her late twenties standing in front of me. She was wearing a really cute, black, ruffle bag from H&M. If you know me, then you know that small talk is my thing! I made a comment to the nice lady about how much I liked her purse and how cute it was. We had a two minute conversation covering where she got the bag, how it goes with everything, and then she thanked me and that was it. We got our drinks and proceeded to snag a couch.

Next thing I know the girl with the black bag comes up to me and says, "hey, you liked this bag so much I think you should have it!" She had already emptied it out and held it out to me. I was so caught off guard by her proposal and assured her that I couldn't take her purse!

"Honestly, its just a bag and has no eternal value to me. Take it and after awhile give it to someone else". Needless to say, she wasn't going to take no for an answer, so I took home my new, adorable, black purse given to me by a complete stranger.

I woke up this morning and had this thought, "could I give away my most prized possession"? I'm not even sure what that would be, but if I had to put money on it, I would say my new canon rebel. This thought reminded me of the stranger who gave me the purse in Starbucks. And it has pushed me to think about what I am holding onto and maybe even cherishing more then I should. After all its just a house, its just a car, its just a bag. No possessions, not even our own bodies, will join us in eternity. What if we lived our lives putting forth our effort, time, possessions and money in an eternal bank?

My family has struggled with money, and most recently with both my parents loosing their jobs, its been really tough. I will never take hot water for granted ever again. But you know, its just hot water, its just a house, car, phone, lap top...If everything was stripped away, how devastated would I be? But the real question that plagues me is, would I be willing to give away everything I own, tomorrow?

I want to live a life free from a dependence on the security of material things, and instead live with a heart willing to give to anyone in need. A mindset founded on the realization that everything I have is a blessing, never once taking it for granted and readily giving to others. In the financial crunch my parents face, their attitude continues to show me that trusting in God is truly an act of faith. We are a blessed family that has been given so much and God has always provided.

I'm not sure how God wants to use me in this life, and to be honest I'm not sure where my passion for fashion fits in either...but I'm trusting that He is God and I am not.

No comments: