December 28, 2011

Still our hearts and hold us close.


Right now, I desire peace most. Peace with my Father, peace with myself and peace with others.

A few years ago, I wanted peace so badly between a person who I had a falling out with. I did whatever I thought would bring reconciliation. Unfortunately that peace never came and I had to learn that Jesus was enough. I believe Jesus to be the Prince of peace and it is with that intention that He became a man and came to die for us. To reconcile us with the Father and with ourselves, so that we can continue His peace here on earth with each other. Sometimes though, others won't reconcile. I had to learn to move forward, taking with me the peace in my heart and joy that consumed me because my God was in control.

We are called to be peacemakers, acting in ways that would breed reconciliation.
Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace. For there is one body and one Spirit, just as you have been called to one glorious hope for the future. Ephesians 4:3-4

My devotions this week were all about reconciliation. It got me thinking and processing. Brokenness invades our lives, but He will make things right, if not now He will one day mend and reconcile us all to Himself in perfect unity. That is a promise. So take hold of hope and never release your gaze on Him. Life never pauses even for a moment, and you have a decision to walk in His way of peace and grab hold of His joy. He died so that decision would be possible for you.
What is our task in this world as children of God and brothers and sisters? Our task is reconciliation. Wherever we go we see divisions among people - in families, friends, communities, cities, countries, and continents. All these divisions are tragic reflections of our separation from God. The truth that all people belong together as members of one family under God is seldom visible. Our sacred task is to reveal that truth in the reality of everyday life. Only when we fully trust that we belong to God and can find in our relationship with God all that we need for our minds, hearts, and souls, can we be truly free in this world and be ministers of reconciliation. -Henri Nouwen

No comments: