June 6, 2011

"Your progress in holiness will never exceed your relationship with the Word of God"

This past semester I studied Romans. The truth that stood out to me most, is found in Romans 6:6-7

"Our old self was crucified with Him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin".

I wrestled with the notion that I am 'no longer being enslaved to my sin' and the freedom from my sin that is obtainable. So how are we to live in light of the truth that we are "no longer being enslaved to sin"? Use that freedom to say yes to righteousness and no to sin. But that means giving over control of the area's in my life that I prefer to keep to myself.

"At times we enjoy our sin too much to want to let it go. We think we'll be miserable if we give it up. But the truth is that those fleshly desires and deeds to which we cling will keep us from enjoying the life for which we were created." -Nancy DeMoss

It's scary to know that even though this truth is made clear to me, my flesh chooses to deliberately ignore its teaching. This past Sunday my pastor described his prominent family feature being his nose, "Everyone knows that I'm my fathers son, by my nose". He began to describe Christs righteousness as the characteristic of His family's resemblance. Everyone should know that I am a child of God by the way I live my life. Righteousness is God's prominent family feature.

This past semester I grew in the realization that I rationalize my sin, this summer I picked up a book on Holiness that my mom gave me freshman year and this past Sunday's sermon was on righteousness. Its clear that God cares a whole lot about my holiness.

No comments: